Thursday, March 25, 2010

Here's To: Procrastination

Today: March 25th, 2010

So i'm sitting here looking at drywall that i've been putting off mudding and sanding fooooor about 3 days now, trying to just get off my ass and start. But procrastinating and writing on here is SO much more productive- right? Yeah I know. It's a good thing i'm so smart with my time management. ANYWAYS, let me give you a bit of backround because I know you're just DYING to know. So here goes:
My boyfriend joe bought a house in sunny San Diego, California back in November of 2009. We looked around for maybe a month and finally found something in Clairemont- an area about 8 miles north of downtown and 4 miles east of the ocean and Pacific Beach (which is where we really wanted to live but it's way too expensive-even now). On the upside, its a pretty big house by San Diego standards- 1,900 sq. ft., but the extensions the old owners added on took up a lot of the backyard so there's limited space back there. I wish we had a bigger backyard for our dogs sake- a 5 month old pit bull puppy, Vegas. She is a total cutie pie, but sometimes she turns into a tazmanian devil and will do multiple hot laps as fast as she can all around the house. Its actually pretty hilarious, but back to more relevant things.
The house was built in 1959 and the people he bought it from lived here the ENTIRE TIME. Which would be a good thing if the Bob Vila wannabe that used to live here hadn't made everything so damn janky & ridiculous.
CASE-IN-POINT: My personal favorite of just how mind boggling this guys 'repairs & improvements' were. In the hall there is a peculiar placed lightswitch ABOVE the linen closet door. At first we thought it went to a light in the attic since the access hatch is right in front of it. But after going in the attic and finding out it wasn't, we couldn't figure out what it went to. Cut to 3 weeks later we're showing people around the house and it's nighttime. I flick the switch to show them that it didn't do anything (or so I thought) and through the bedroom window to the right, I see the flood light on the side of the house go on. He didn't have enough wire (I assume) so he just put the light switch 7 & 1/2 feet up a wall! Who does that??!?! Edwin does (thats the guys name).
I can't talk TOO badly about him because he could come haunt us and jinx any remodels we do, which does seem to be the case so far. He died a few years ago and his widow finally sold the house. And we asked- he did NOT die in the house, ugh that would be so creepy. Ha, shit there I go with the bad-mouthing him. OK GOOD THOUGHTS!
Well, I guess I should get to this drywall for real. Joe comes home from Alaska where he's been for the past week and I was supposed to have this done 2 days ago. So until next time, here's to procrastination!
~Kt

No comments:

Post a Comment